Sunday 28 February 2010

Virgin Forest (My Journey to the Blue Mountains)


A trek through the Longwood Shola Forest in the Kotagiri hill station marked the perfect start to my Nilgiris expedition. A major source of pure water to the people of Kotagiri, the virgin forest is protected by the Logwood Shola Watchdog Committee. I met some committee members before my trek. Among them was a valiant young man who had been savaged by a wild bison, but was now back helping to protect the forest after a long period of rehabilitation in hospital. I was amazed to see their commitment as well as the affection with which they held the shola forest.

I was struck by the calm and serenity as I made my way into the forest. Undeterred by the threat of leeches, I walked leisurely along the picturesque trekking path with other fellow champions. We kept quiet so as not to disturb or threaten the wildlife, stopping occasionally to learn about endemic species of flora. The rhododendron nilgiricum, for example, is a natural fire-fighter because of its high tolerance to heat, and its propensity to thwart the spread of wild-fires.

The canopy formed by thick, verdant green trees standing tall was like a shield protecting the many species of flora and fauna inside the forest. Direct sunlight is harmful to shola trees which thrive on moist soil. The canopy also traps rain water creating a cool, idyllic climatic condition inside the forest. The temperature remains the same at all times irrespective of the weather outside illustrating the delicate eco-system that operates in Longwood Shola.

This beautiful virgin forest was not without its problems. Locals started cutting down shola trees to replace them with tea plantations until the early twentieth century when Baylim Brook, a British gentleman, came to the forest’s rescue. He realised its indispensable role in providing pure water to the area and stopped the widespread deforestation. It was a humbling experience to stop by his bungalow situated in the middle of the forest.

I pondered about the modern day problems of deforestation. One and a half acres of rainforest are lost every second. Trees absorb greenhouse gases that fuel global warming and fewer forests means that larger amount of greenhouse gases enter the atmosphere.

I moved on quickly crossing small streams and felled tree trunks, slowly getting used to the moisture seeping through my boots; its squelch soon enough reaching a rhythmic tandem with the rest of the trekkers. I stopped with my fellow champions and sat under the shade of sun-dappled trees for a moment’s reflection. Having been informed that animals such as elephants use their powerful sense of smell and hearing rather than their sight for survival, I decided to shut my eyes to see if I could empathise. Whilst I cannot say that I could have escaped had a predator emerged out of the shrubberies, I can confess to feeling at one with mother nature in that moment. The morning breeze whistled around trunks and flirted with leaves, whilst an ostentation of birds could be heard serenading us with the most beautiful of tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment