Sunday 28 February 2010

Fold Mountains (My Journey to the Blue Mountains)


Mukurthi National Park is a wildlife sanctuary which is not open to members of the public. British Council arranged a special permit from the Forest Department for us climate champions. Far from the madding crowd, this place of outstanding natural beauty was almost too perfect. I began trekking through the winding road with mountains towering above me on either side. If my eyes were the canvass, then I can profess that the scenery around me was the art. The shola grasslands and thickets were a majestic sight; the gaps and hues in the greenery trapping the rays of the morning sunlight and refracting it into a flurry of sparkling rainbow butterflies.

A fellow champion remarked that it was as if we were walking to the middle of the earth; somewhere so surreal and heavenly. We stopped at a vantage point with a panoramic view of the fold mountains down below. Formed like the protruding waves of a placid ocean, the mountains were truly the elixir of life in these parts. Words could not do justice to nature’s glorious splendour, and that is why we all sat there speechless taking in the breathtaking scenery. Soon the clouds hovered above casting their shade on the mountains - a sign that my rendezvous with the fold mountains came to an end and that I had to trek back.

No comments:

Post a Comment