Sunday 28 February 2010

Safari in Mudumalai (My Journey to the Blue Mountains)


I had an eventful day at Mudumalai Tiger Reserve which included a visit to the Indian Institute of Science and a talk by the Field Director. What I was looking forward to the most was an early morning safari on the morrow. I wanted to meet a tiger but I knew that my chances were slim. Mr Jayaprakash, a wildlife photographer and academic, spotted a tiger after some sixty treks. He explained the different species of wildlife that I could expect to see in my safari.


At the crack of dawn, I set off with my fellow champions. We took a bus through the rugged road in the forest. Apart from the occasional bird chirping, there was utter silence. Trees stood still like statues, leaves didn’t dare to fall, lest the earth be disturbed in its slumber. The only sound that could be heard was one of excitement and delight from the bus as we saw spotted and sambar deer, peacocks and a herd of wild elephants. My colleagues clicked away with their cameras. I simply sat there and soaked in the living museum.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I really like your post.
    Thanks for sharing such great information. It is very informative and provides knowledge of Mudumalai Safari

    ReplyDelete